Shapes Randomly Turn On and Off

Started by aeturnum

aeturnum

My nanoleaf shapes will sometimes turn on or off without any interaction from me. It seems like, when it happens, the shape switches from its intended setting to the reverse (off -> on, or on -> off) and it starts to show as "disconnected" in the app. It will generally go back to the intended setting after 30 - 60s, but not always. Generally using the physical on / off button will reverse it immediately, but you can't issue the shape orders from the app.

I have two shapes and one of them seems to do it more often than the other, but it might be that I just notice it more because it is in my sight line. This bug is particularly annoying at night as shapes will come on at full brightness in the middle of the night and wake me up. The most effective solution I've found is to simply unplug a shape before going to sleep.

Aliakbar Eski

Hey @aeturnum,

That doesn't seem right at all! Can you let me know what firmware version is this occurring on? When this occurs is there and LED on the controller that is flashing?
When it turns on, does it turn on to the final scene or some colour or white?

I would request you to contact Nanoleaf support as they will be in a better position to help you as well.

Regards
Aliakbar Eski

aeturnum

Hey @"Aliakbar Eski", thank you for your response!

Both of my Shapes are @ 6.2.3, which I believe is the latest. I have not noticed a flashing LED on the controller when this happens - the shape just flickers on or off - but I will specifically look next time I see it happen.

I believe that when the shape turns itself on it is using the scene that was set on it. However, I'm not certain of that because the shape where I notice this happening most often is a shape I generally use as a lamp - so it's usually set to "Daylight" and I'm not sure I could tell the difference if it was just coming on all white.

Thank you for the advice - I will open a support ticket.

Aliakbar Eski

Hey @aeturnum

Based on what you said, I have a hunch
If you can try one, really quick fix. Move the Shapes controller around to some other panel. I suspect that some electric cabling behind the wall is triggering the on-off button on the controller (you likely won't see the button flash, since its very quick).

Let me know if this helps you out. You don't have to move it too far, even having it on the same panel should be fine as long as the controller has moved (and by extension the position where the on off button is on the wall)

Regards
Aliakbar Eski

QuantumDotter

I just want to say thank you @"Aliakbar Eski" ! I found this thread via googling for the same issue and tried your solution and it worked perfectly! No idea if it's the same problem that @aeturnum had, but definitely worked for me, so I wanted to say thank you (and help anyone else who finds this thread). It's very nice not to have my Shapes suddenly go super-bright red in the middle of the night while I'm trying to sleep!