Kitchen backsplash with Nanoleaf Canvas

Started by Deborah

Deborah

I wanted to share my project using Canvas panels in the kitchen. Before installation my kitchen backsplash was just a white painted wall for 15+ years. I couldn't decide on what tile materials and colors I wanted. I really wanted something that I could customize based on my mood, time of day, and season. When I got my first set of Canvas panels to play with, I thought these would make a perfect backsplash - they change color and pattern and I wouldn't get bored with them. And they could provide some white task lighting when needed.

I did have a few problems to solve before implementing the design.

What to do about splatters? I don't want to stain the Canvas panels.

What to do behind the cooktop? I'm concerned that the higher heat could damage the Canvas panels while cooking.

What to do around the outlets and switches? I can't cut the Canvas panels.

For the splatters I covered some of the panels using transparent Con-Tact paper. I covered the ones behind the mixer and blender, plus ones closer to the cooktop. The existing splatters on the wall guided me on this.

For the other issues, I figured I could mix the Canvas in with traditional tile. I wanted to maintain a proportional size, so I looked for tile sized 3x3 inches or 6x6 inches. I also wanted to tie in with the design elements already present in my kitchen. After shopping around online I came up with three different tile materials all from Tile Bar. Their site made it easy to search for particular sizes of tile. They also had quick shipping of samples and the tile I ultimately chose.

For behind the cooktop I went with Up! Optic Blanco 6x6 Ceramic Wall Tile. It's a 3-D white tile that forms a star pattern when the tile are rotated in certain directions. It caught my eye because it coordinated really nicely with a bowl that I store my onions and garlic in: Muuto Crushed Bowl. I also mixed it into the design throughout so it would be more cohesive.

For the around outlets and switches I picked Laguna Iridescent White 3x3 Glass Tile. I also used it to fill around the edges. I liked that it coordinated with the glass block I have sitting on top of the upper cabinets. The smooth tiles I cut with a manual tile cutter. The rougher textured ones I took to Lowes to have them cut with a wet saw.

I still had some space between the Canvas panels and the countertop. I went with the Industrial Cityscape Metal Mosaic Tile. The black tile coordinates with the countertop and the silver tile coordinates with the door pulls. I cut this tile with a Dremel using the fiberglass reinforced cutting wheel.

I went with three Canvas controllers. For the angled walls by the cooktop, I used flexible linkers. I was able to run the power wire up through the spaces between the cabinets. When the house was built, I had electrical outlets installed above the cabinets so I could install decorative lighting behind the glass blocks and control them with a switch.

I attached all Canvas panels and tile to the wall with Command 3M Small Picture Hanging Strips. This enabled me to move the panels and tile if they weren't exactly where I wanted them. It is also easier to replace a damaged panel or tile. I didn't use any grout. There were a couple gaps around one of the switches and edges of the metal tile. I used some iridescent chenille pipe cleaners for filling in.

Here's a link to some photos of my finished project:

One thing I didn't have to deal with was water splashing the Canvas panels. The kitchen sink has a window above it and my wet prep work occurs on the kitchen island.
Overall I'm really pleased with how it turned out. Even when the Canvas panels aren't powered on, they blend in beautifully with the rest of the tile.