Adjustable Rhythm Microphone Sensitivity

Started by PaulFriedman

PaulFriedman

The default settings on the rhythm mic are far too low. It only picks up music at nightclub levels. Please provide a way to adjust this to increase sensitivity (or decrease it if I hold a rave at my house).

Thanks.

—Paul (39 panel owner!)

Lynx_Wigan

I agree with this entirely. My Lights and Rhythm are right next to my desk and when I am playing music the sound will hardly pick up.

Pruitts

I agree. The app shows what the microphone is seeing but there is no way to increase or decrease the sensitivity.

7ound

This was the only downside I experienced with the product. I fixed this issue ~75% by placing aluminum foil behind/around the rhythm plug-in.

Pruitts

Do you have the aluminum foil sticking out around the edges, or even with the plug-in? I'm trying to picture what you have done so that I can try it on mine. Thanks!

7ound

Even with the plug-in seems to work best (so pretty much flat against the wall). My foil does extend down past the plug-in so as to be visible, as this improves the mic sensitivity (but not the prettiest sight). Lights work amazingly now though

Slapster

As above, unless I have the music at unreasonable levels (for a flat), then the rhythm plug doesn't set the lights flashing…… And I don't fancy half a roll of bacofoil hanging down my wall!!

7ound

LOL I do share in your sentiment.

Does anyone know if the Canvas product has better mic sensitivity? I believe the mic is built in rather than an attachment. However, I chose the aurora/light panels due to the size and feel of the shape (and lack of the pattern/texture on each Canvas square that cannot be removed)

mrhector

I have mine on the same wall where I have speakers near so I ends up not picking up the sound that goes outward. I wonder if I put em on the opposite wall if it would be any better.

At this point I'm looking at making an extension cable for the rhythm module so I can place it beside the speaker. Really sucks there is no option to adjust yet.

space_walker

I received a light panel set for Christmas (Rhythm edition) and when we set it on the table in the kitchen testing it out the mic was so sensitive it was picking up people talking, so perhaps you just need an updated mic?

Starty

I agree with Space Walker, the sensitivity is too high if anything! I’ve been searching for how to reduce it. Panels and rhythm received in Dec 2018.

7ound

When laying flat on the counter it does improve the receptiveness, although voice seems to be picked up much easier than music for some reason. It could also have to do with the general acoustics of each room, but the mic is definitely an issue. It should have no problem picking up even the slightest sound regardless of room acoustics, like the mics in our smartphones

mcahneriii

I have the fix if you got the money you want to spend. 3.5mm powerless mic to headphone amp to 3.5mm aux rhythm input. change around volume then High gain low gain and bass setting and it's lit. beyond this we need amplitude and frequency response settings without changing the scene.

mcahneriii

I have the fix if you got the money you want to spend. 3.5mm powerless mic to headphone amp to 3.5mm aux rhythm input. change around volume then High gain low gain and bass setting and it's lit. beyond this we need amplitude and frequency response settings without changing the scene.

mcahneriii

Hey I am not an official dev nor paid by support but I am happy to help!
I would contact support on this issue but if you're tech savvy and impatient like myself I can give you a few options.
1.) is configure a way to have your music split through an 3.5mm headphone jack and have one go to the rhythm and the other to your speaker source like and aux in.
a.)music input aux out to an aux splitter then an aux to both the speaker and the panels you would use your musical device to control sensitivity and then could adjust for actual music sound using the speaker
b.)same way but buy and a Bluetooth tx and rx so no cables would have to run down the walls
c.)If you want to not change any speaker configuration at all you could buy an unpowered 3.5mm microphone and then use a headphone amplifier then an aux to the rhythm module
Again I am not paid support and I don't represent the company just trying to help you out.

ScottDodsonDev

Thank you for trying to help! It's strange that some people are reporting the microphone sensitivity is too high. I have computer speakers pointed at my Nanoleaf Aurora approximately 10' away and they have very little effect on it. The volume needs to be extremely loud for it to work properly. My voice does activate the effects though.

Roxxibear

I’m having the same problem. In the app I can see the sound wave, but the music needs to be super loud to see any color changes. This really defeats the purpose.

mrhector

Has anyone tried using a mini microphone mean for cell phones attached to the aux input? Wondering if that would work any better.

Roxxibear

So I bought the mic- unfortunately it seems to need power from the thing it’s plugged into- or provide its own signal more like a “line in” than a powered microphone port coming out of the Rhythm.

So that device didn’t do the trick- it really will come down to a line in from your sound source. Since mine is a Sonos I don’t really have an option :-(

Guess we need to keep pushing for a software fix here.